Lake Millstatt is located at 588m above sea level on the southern side of the main chain of the Alps and has a mild climate. Average summer temperature in the region is 25ºC. Climatically, the lake is also favoured by an upwind, which provides more sunny days than elsewhere. As the deepest and most water-rich lake in Carinthia, Lake Millstatt is not only very temperature-stable, but also one of the warmest lakes with a surface temperature of up to 22ºC – 25ºC in summer. Bathing season is from May to September.
A 28km long bike path surrounds Lake Millstatt, which is ideal for beginners, people returning to cycling, or families who want to enjoy a leisurely bike ride. The bike path leads directly through our village, Dellach, and along the route there are numerous opportunities to experience the lake, nature and culinary delights. The bike ride around the lake can also be shortened or combined with the two bike ferries that sail across the lake. Of course, the region also offers more demanding mountain bike and road bike tours, such as “Sternentrail” downhill MTB track or the “Nockalmrunde” circular road course through the Nockberge Mountains.
The region around Lake Millstatt forms the transition between the smooth hills of the Nockberge and the rugged 3000m high mountain peaks of the Hohe Tauern. Numerous hiking and climbing routes with varying degrees of difficulty offer each mountain enthusiast an unforgettable experience. Examples in the immediate vicinity of the campsite are:
- The Lake Millstatt Alpine Trail leads in eight stages around Lake Millstatt
- Strengthen yourself at the mountain hut “Schwaigerhütte” with home-made Carinthian delicacies
- The mountain hut “Alexanderhütte” is easy to reach for big and small hikers (even with wheeled baby carriages)
- Try traditional regional Almkost on the “Lammersdorferhütte” before you make your way to the Granattor
- Explore the Mystic Mount Mirnock with its places of spiritual power and small mysteries
- At the „Jungfernsprung“ the climbers climb up to 30m high rocks, starting from a floating platform on the shore of Lake Millstatt
- In the climbing garden „Breitwand“ in Döbriach you can expect multi-pitch routes of varying degrees of difficulty with an alpine character
- Enjoy the sunrise on the sports mountain Goldeck with a cozy breakfast or swing down into the valley on a mountain bike or paraglider Tal
If you enjoy angling, you are in the right place at Lake Millstatt. Especially at the annual fishing competition for the “Crystal Whitefish” are passionate anglers in good company. To cast the line and catch a fish yourself you need a fishing permit (available at the regional tourist offices).